Monday, October 23, 2006

the sacrifice of a broken heart

The title is a line in one of my favorite Matt Redman songs (I Will Offer Up My Life), and I was awakened after midnight tonight with that song playing in my head, as well as his other song, "Facedown". While I was listening to the latter, I could picture myself spinning around in a shower of gold, like flakes or the shimmering ash of a fire that was clinging and sparkling on my clothes. The lyrics of the first song go something like,

I will offer up my life in spirit and truth
Pouring out the oil of love as my worship to You
In surrender I will give my every part
Lord accept the sacrifice of a broken heart

Savior what can I give, what can I bring
To so faithful a Friend, to so loving a King?
No my words cannot tell, not even in part
Of the debt of love that is owed from this thankful heart

It made me think of the Old Testament sacrifices, and how we are now called to be a living sacrifice. The priests of old received the sacrifices from the people, and spent much of their time preparing and offering them to God. Now our High Priest, Jesus Christ Himself, lives inside of us, so it is a huge mystery how together we give our own selves to Him and He prepares us to be acceptable. None of those sacrifices that were given remained unchanged. They were killed, washed, perfumed, mixed with other thing, cut to pieces, boiled, roasted, baked, eaten-changed completely from one thing to another that was pleasing and suitable for use. The smoke smelled pleasing as the baking, boiling and roasting was happening, so I guess the image of smoke filling the air is what made me associate the golden shower with the sacrifice, and the words to Facedown (God, I'll fall facedown, as Your glory shines around). Also, as the fire went up God's presence came down to the people.

I just know tonight I can hardly contain the thoughts. They woke me up and I don't know what to do except let the Lord joyfully take my broken heart and change me into something good tasting and sweet-smelling, creating the savor as I allow Him the freedom to mix, boil, chop and roast away for my good, His pleasure and the nourishment of those around me.

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home