Tuesday, October 14, 2008

questions and answers


I go to the local gym in the morning to exercise. I've found it's probably the only consistent thing I do well to keep my body in shape as I love to eat and dieting is not as exciting or fun as being around all that equipment. Plus usually an hour and I'm done. I do like using the treadmills, and two televisions are on in front of the machines to pass the time. I don't watch tv news, except at the gym. I usually depend on the computer for my news and related information.

I know we're coming into the most heated season of politics in American, a presidential race. Even the most apathetic person cannot help seeing or hearing something of the election. It's everywhere. And we complain. But it's good-a reminder that this IS America. It is also a time when I find myself questioning where I belong in the process. I'm first of all a citizen of heaven, secondly, an American. I love my country. I long to know according to my belief system, what is service to country? I find my heart saddened when I feel lumped into a category because of my faith. Most Christians I know vote with their conscience, not with any denomination or political stripe, and for some, this is the right choice. Many struggle deeply with questions and issues. And I know many on both sides of the party fence who are strongly committed to loving God and loving their fellow citizens.

Ever since Jesus was asked whether his disciples should pay taxes to Caesar, the question remains...His answer was, Render unto Caear that which is his, and render to God that which is His. This question was posed in the movie Sargent York-a favorite of mine. In that case a soldier who knew the commandments was pondering whether to enter WWI. A fellow soldier tried to argue scripture to the positive, and the discussion just kept going in circles. A wise officer just had the soldier read the history of the formation of our country, and the price paid for the freedoms we enjoy. He decided to fight. Whatever the fight is for each of us as individuals, the thing is-get into the process. This is a country of the people after all.

3 Comments:

Blogger ghost writer said...

Do you have any stories you would like to have in the next book I'm working on? It's about the karma of kindness and how divine things can happen when you have compassion for others and love.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

Wow-I'll have to think about that one, but I'm sure I can come up with something. Do you want them sent to you?

11:30 AM  
Blogger ghost writer said...

well here are the details my e-mail is irishy@aol.com
If you could change every relationship in your life for the better, would you do it? If you knew you could be happy and fulfilled by following one simple rule, would you follow it?

The truth is, you already hold the key. Most of us were taught it at some stage of our young lives, in fact between teachers, spiritual leaders and parents it was pretty much drilled into our heads.

The "it" I'm talking about is outlined in every major religion in the world it is the one thing they all have in common. In Christianity it's do to others as you would like them to do to you while in the tradition religion of japan Shinto its be charitable to all beings love is representative of god in Islam its none of you believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself the culmination of these similar teachings is defined as the Golden Rule.

So I'm searching for 10 exciting stories for the next book the criteria for the Karma of Kindness

Stories must Have:

1) Compassion
2) Kindness
3) Truth (real name and address)
4) Someone life had to be turned around
5) Connection to God

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home