Monday, September 03, 2007

God will be God

My recent scripture reading reminds me that God will be God no matter what I do. I have a tendency to have faith at the least common denominator of any situation. That way I don't get disappointed or hurt. I tend to rationalize and excuse, make it easy for myself or just paw the air rather than take a solid whack at life. Being in the classroom reminds me I need to take that solid whack every day. I never expected to be there, and if it were up to me, I wouldn't-not the way I trust. I suppose there is something to be said for detached dispassion, but somehow I think that's fear faking it.

There is a scripture in Ephesians that is the benediction of a prayer by St. Paul that says more or less, now to Him who is able to do excessively, abundantly above all we could ask or think, to Him be the glory forever, amen. The glory, indeed. He makes the promise, but do we believe it? No. I don't ask big enough, think grandly enough, want enough, need enough, love enough. But God always does. Doesn't the world show us that? Not the failures of men, but the way everything is blessed every day. May I never forget that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home