Wednesday, February 21, 2007

devil's food

I'm beginning to believe with all my heart that fear is the Wheaties of all the demons in hell. Not the good kind....fear of God, fear of things you right ought to be afraid of. No, the kind of fear I'm talking about is dread, the kind that leads to condemnation and guilt. The kind that paralyzes. The kind that pulls you into the black hole of unbelief. Thinking there is nothing to believe in, nothing good. The cold, icy hands of accusation around your throat. Satan is called "The Accuser of the Brethren". The whispering words in your head that it will never turn out right so why try, you're not good enough, don't trust anyone, stay out of the spotlight, don't get help because you'll look weak, and on...and on....

Fear keeps a body in hiding, behind bars, in the dark, separated, alone. Jesus proclaimed of Himself that He had come to set the captives free. The one thing that keeps us captive more than anything else is our own fear. The scriptures say fear of God leads to life and wisdom, and fear of man to shame. Another great person said there is nothing to fear but fear itself, and I think that is true. If we live in fear we live believing a lie. The message of Jesus' birth was peace on Earth, goodwill to men!

I was thinking about the passion of Christ, when He was before Pontius Pilate. Jesus refused to utter a word in His own defense, and I believe He didn't need to because He had spoken all the words necessary to effect redemption. It was finished at that moment. I have learned that I need to speak the words of redemption to myself when fear comes slinking up to me and begins wrapping itself around my heart and mind. I don't need to defend myself-God does that. I only need to repeat the words that cause fear to flee-the Truth. The scriptures also say to resist the devil and he will flee. Fear needs to be confronted and resisted. Too often we lay down and accept the lies. To do that is to feed the demonic forces-we need to starve them out with the truth, and the truth is, if God is for us, who can be against us? Nothing can separate us from the love of Christ, not even our own fears. May as well choose the winning side, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home