Tuesday, June 12, 2007

back to life!

I've started up a life drawing group again. I did it for several years and then more or less quit due to lack of artists' interest and the hassle of trying to find reliable models, collect money, scheduling and all the fun stuff that goes along with it. But I sure missed drawing. Turns out lots of other people did, too, so we've got a great group, and they met last night. We had one beautiful forty-something model with great curves and a very tradition oevre of poses. When that happens you do not have to worry about making a terrific drawing or painting. It happens naturally.

I was also glad to see new faces, and one I simply could not ignore. She was a real Helga type, as in Wyeth's famous series, a Nordic ash blonde with lovely cheekbones and watercolor blue eyes. As soon as she walked in I knew I wanted to ask her if she'd be a portrait model, but I waited as this was her first time with the group. Well, while I was collecting money I popped the question and got a very surprised but affirmative response. As the evening drew (ha, pun intended) to a close, she approached me again to get my phone number. I quickly scanned dates so as not to lose this opportunity, and then I told her not to stress over it, her face is so good it doesn't matter what she wears. She then asked me, "Oh, I can wear clothes?" It was impossible not to double over with uncontrollable guffaws, and then I thought, this was her first time-I guess she automatically presumed I was asking her to pose nude. I told her I would never, ever ask a total stranger to do that! (Well, depends on the stranger I guess ;-)

And so a good night was had by all. My drawing was acceptably put together, which it should have been after 5 previous years of this. There is nothing like it. The group dynamic when a pose is happening is palpable, and the human form is unmatched in it's expressive power. I love it so much. I forgotten how much.

2 Comments:

Blogger jules said...

I wish I lived closer. I used to take life drawing classes at the community college every semester. I miss doing that. I need to check into doing it again. There's nothing like drawing the human figure and portraits.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

I wish you did, too! You'd absolutely love it-we have such a great group and so much fun together! Definitely check if there's life group at the college or even independent-most towns have art organizations.

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home