Tuesday, June 12, 2007

graduation

Yesterday my daughter graduated from college. It was our first graduation, being that she did not walk the stage for high school, my son got his GED and my youngest graduates high school next year. She is a fashion design major at the Art Institute in Philly. The graduation was held in the First Baptist Church downtown, a venerable old house of worship established in the 1600's with a massive pipe organ, balconies and a huge auditorium. And there was my daughter, marching down the aisle to Pomp and Circumstance, in an altered graduation gown and cap as a backless halter dress with cut-out panels and plastic bats attached, and a veil on her cap. An art mom could not have been prouder!

The day was truly beautiful, as my sister from Oklahoma was with us, and the boyfriend and his family. Only Brandon was missing. He called this morning, and my sister took video, so I told him he has something to look forward to when he gets out. It was bittersweet from that aspect, but really, over barbeque the next day we all recounted old, hilarious stories of the kids growing up, and it seemed he was there with us.

These passages of life happen no matter what else is going on, and are there to be enjoyed and embraced. It was great. I look forward to the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home