Sunday, February 10, 2008

white letter day for me

I don't get many letters addressed directly to me from my son, but one came just recently. I was thinking as I read it, it seems like the clouds are parting in his life and his mental condition just gets better and better. It amazes me how that can happen in a prison, but it is for him. I read in my devotions this morning about "living in the light", and I heard that from a recovering alcoholic on Friday night, how before he found sobriety and faith he existed as though in a cave with curtains drawn, and now the curtains are open. We need to live in the light, open to each other and to God.
Here's quotes from the letter:

The weekend was pretty lazy...I kept myself busy with sewing and Sudoku. My "new" laundry bag gets fresh tears in it every wash (the washing machines in the prison are as big as a living room practically because they take in laundry as a means of earning money-mom), so I have to stay on top of it or I'll lose clothes. They have a bag repair, but those guys always bugger the job and I have to fix it. Figure I should just do it myself to begin with. I sort of find it funny having to stitch up holes in a mesh bag. If I were one of the repair guys, I'd just send it back saying "It's supposed to have holes, that's how the clothes get clean...idiot!"

My lounging pants came next. I somehow managed to lounge a giant hole straight through the knee. An unfortunate side of relaxation...TO THE EXTREME!!! It took forever, it was messy, and with my superior needleworkmanship (there's a gem for ya) it looked only slightly less garish than a Tim Burtonian leather body suit held together with white twine. I call them..."FRANKENPANTS"...

How's the Nietzsche research going?...Though given to extreme wordiness, abject adjective abuse, despair, and outright hatred, he posed some interesting questions about existence and the origin of morality with a hypothesis or two of his own...I also wonder if when he made his famous quote "God is dead" he was lamenting a progression away from religion as a whole. Given his overall tone, maybe not. He was nearing the end of his life and was probably suffering from an Ecclesiastic break, as in Solomon's cry of "All is vanity!" While some think he had gone insane, I'd like to believe he had an eerie moment of clarity that killed him.

He end with "Your devoted loving son", which I can always be thankful for. I keep thinking of a favorite song done by the group DC Talk, In the Light-

I want to be in the Light,
As You are in the light
I want to shine like a star in the heavens
O Lord be my Light, and be my salvation
All I want is to be in the light

I want my son out of the darkness and into the light of love and truth.

2 Comments:

Blogger sparrow said...

That is beautiful... and what a great sense of humor he has!!!!

Thank you for sharing his words; thank him for sharing you.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

Thanks for the comment!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home