Monday, April 02, 2007

nana's letter

Today my mother-in-law brought over a letter from Brandon to her, wishing her a happy birthday. Their birthdays are a week apart, and when he was home they would go out to dinner together to celebrate. In fact that is how I remembered her birthday. But this year, of course, that didn't happen. It was his 21st, her 81st. I read the letter and thought, man, that sure doesn't sound like Brandon. It was sweet and funny, just enough for his Nana. Just as quickly as I read it, I thought to myself, Brandon, why did it take prison to grow you up? But I had to leave the thought there and simply be grateful he even remembered to write to her.

Still, I think to myself, years separate our homecoming. I wonder if Bran will continue to grow. I think so. I have to tell myself he's choosing to make the best of it. We also got a book back that I tried to send to him through an Amazon seller. Well, I'll just have to try again to find something interesting. I guess the odd part of it all is that while Bran was home he seemed as easy to pin down as the wind. I wasn't ever sure where he was when not at work or school, or what he wanted. We talked, but those times were usually at odd junctures of work and waking up, and seemed to be forgotten as quickly as they happened.

I think somehow those bars are helping him to stop slipping through life. It takes a firm and stable position to create something of worth in life. I see that in the ladies at the county lock-up. As long as all they think about is living for today, they won't have any tomorrow. Sometimes freedom is a dangerous thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger jules said...

You truly scare me how much your life parallels mine. Truly.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

Thanks for letting me know you read what I write, and I sincerely hope it is a help to you. My life has changed so dramatically since this all came about. I've met people in the last six months who are now like family to me. The situation isn't taken away, but what I need to bear it is given, and you are certainly part of that. I do pray that you'll find the same comfort in the midst of such a painful experience. I can truly say life has changed for the better for all of us.

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home