Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy Holidays!!





Ok, it is unlikely that you've seen a more strange collection of pictures in one place. Welcome to the weird and crazy world of Sue's holidays. I don't know how it happens. It starts normally-the picture of my sisters and I (second from the left-you really can't miss the eyebrows)! That was Thanksgiving, and it was wonderful. Ok, on with the last three, a Revival Burlesque bumper sticker that was given to me by the cast of the same show in which my daughter sang and acted, and then a menorah parade-this all happened in Philadelphia the weekend before Christmas. The only thing lacking in this set of pix is my two daughters dressed up as David Bowie for Christmas dinner in paper wigs and costumes. One was Jareth from the movie Labyrinth, and the other was Ziggy Stardust. Pictures will follow if my daughter sends me hers.

Just a little reminder that normal life is rarely that, especially for this family. Ok, further "lifeshots" from the holidays...a call from Brandon. He's doing well and was able to get through on Christmas morning! Yay! The girls were both home (I brought Dena home from Philly to be with us on Christmas) and could say hi to their brother. Christmas Eve consisted of pierogi making (Polish dumplings), and my only attempt at cookie baking, thank God. My husband's family is of Polish extraction on both sides, so we celebrate the traditional Christmas Eve dinner, Wigilia or Wilia (Vil-EE-ah). I'll see if I can find a hyperlink reference to the meal's history. A chair is left empty for Jesus (this year it was next to me, and unfortunately Jesus held up the serving line-I kept getting passed over), or a traveler needing shelter. We break opatke (OH-pwat-key), giving each person at the table three blessings or wishes for the New Year. The bread is like a communion wafer, or fly saucer candy shells, if you've ever had those. The traditional blessing is for health, wealth and happiness, and as the blessing is given the recipient breaks off three pieces of opatke and eats them, signifying the acceptance of the blessing. It's a really beautiful ceremony, and I couldn't help thinking of the Sabbath Prayer scene in Fiddler on the Roof.

We decided this year to not focus on gift-giving, and I feel like I really had my gifts in the visits to Indiana to see my sisters, the visit to Somerset to see Brandon and his call and letter after the holidays (he's beginning to accept the loss of old dreams and start dreaming some new paths for which I am truly grateful), and being able to visit and bring home Dee. Acting and singing in this show is a long-time dream come true for her, and I was also able to help her clean and organize her space before school starts again. One side note any parent with a college age child will understand...her "luggage" for home was a laundry basket filled with dirty clothes. Chuckle.

So I look forward to the New Year with more fun times, silly pictures and snapshots of life! What will happen, I don't know. But one true thing-God has kept us in His palm this year.

1 Comments:

Blogger thinkinkmesa said...

Loved reading all of your holiday posts...sounds like a magical time was had!

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home