Thursday, June 19, 2008

why?

My blog seems to be my therapist. This week I was working pretty much all week for the prison ministry organization I'm a part of, Providing Hope. I agreed to sign on as their administrative assistant-not a hard job, except that I'm more or less "on call" along with doing paperwork, organizing and telephoning. I just got a call from our head male chaplain at the prison. He asked me if I remembered a certain female inmate. Yes, sort of. Well, he tells me, her daughter overdosed. The funeral is tomorrow in our town. The mother may not be able to swing getting there-she's trying, talking to lawyers. If she can't, could you go as a representative for the prison? Of course.

Ok, now I think I need to catch my breath. What a world.

3 Comments:

Blogger JL said...

These things happen.

What I find fascinating about people and families who have had to deal with prison, is they come into contact with far more different behaviors than those who apparently have never, ever had any encounter with that life at all.

Which I now find bizarre, as I am baffled by folks who have apparently had no experiences in their lives atall.

Everyone leaves stressful circumstances differently. I reserve the right to my own personal opinions. It was for a long time the only thing of my own I had.

However, I also reserve the right to wall myself off from trauma. I dislike funerals of other peoples' children, and avoid them whenever possible.

No offense intended in any way.

I simply know my limitations.

7:49 PM  
Blogger sparrow said...

God bless, SS.

<3

7:52 PM  
Blogger Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

Thanks, JL-so very true! My normal now includes things like what I just blogged, and in all truth, being a part of other families' struggles is in part the way I deal with my own. I respect your opinions and understand the need to stay away from trauma. The request that was made of me is part of my job and my ministry. I find doing these things strengthens me and broadens my capacity for compassion and understanding toward other people I meet in the future.

Thanks, Pixie-I need it! I can't help grieving, and I think that's normal, but it's also the spirit inside grieving for the waste and the loss.

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home